Monday 6 August 2012

Happy long weekend everyone!
It's been a hot few weeks here in central Alberta lately. I'm reluctantly back to work, albeit much closer to home than I've ever been.( It remains to be seen if that is actually a good thing or not!).
The new location affords me a 15 minute drive in the morning through the hills west of our place.
lots of chances for local wildlife shots, and some pretty nice landscape views as well. Coming home at night, the sun is behind me and the trip is repeated, although I do seem to be having a lot more luck in the mornings. Lots of fog and mist. One spot on the road is home to at least 6 Kestrels, who may be more wary than Red-Tailed Hawks(if thats possible) when it comes to getting their picture taken.
This morning, near where I commonly see great Horned Owls, I thought I saw a porcupine in the ditch.
Closer inspection revealed it to be a young-very young and late!- Great Horned Owl fledgling. He was in some distress, and wasnt able to fly. He didnt look hurt, so I went on my way, planning to come back and check on him later. At 9:30 he was still in the same spot, and moving much less, so I scooped him up and my wife and girls came and delivered him to the great folks at the Medicine River Wildlife Center. They'll do their best to nurse him back, but Carol said he was in bad shape and had about a 10% chance of making it.
Here he was when I first saw him early this morning:
I've also seen some good looking deer in the area

The view from the high ground on Baldy can be very impressive in the morning

I managed to get a Kestrel to sit still for a shot the other morning
And even a dirty old compressor facility can look not too shabby in the wee hours of first light
Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment