Tuesday 14 August 2012

Apparently it's been a good month for Owl viewing around here! There's some low ground about 4 miles from where I'm working right now, and no matter which route I start with, the last 4miles is pretty much the same, and includes this swampy area. On many mornings, I'll see Great Grey Owls here, as well as a pair of Red-tailed fox kits(which have so far eluded my lens), a pair of twin moose calves with no Mom and some ever elusive Red-Tailed Hawks.
Last night on the way home, a Great Grey was hunting from a post, criss-crossing the road with absolutely no concern for me and my camera. I came away with some good shots and a lesson (re-learned, unfortunately) on not getting so close that the subject fills the frame. Seems I get so excited when these guys actually sit still that I get too close, and trying to get a flight shot with a 600 when the birds is that close will get you nothing more than out of focus tail feathers.
So, with said photos safely hidden in the recycle bin, I'll share a couple of the better perched shots and hope for another chance today.



If you haven't heard already, we are in the midst of a project following 3 teams of equestrians up to and through the 2012 Telus Battle of the Breeds at Spruce Meadows this september. Western Horse Review has picked up a separate blog we are doing for that project, and you can follow us here:

http://www.westernhorsereview.com/blogs/breed-sport-news/battle-of-the-breeds-2012/

And for anyone who saw the last post about the late-fledging Great Horned Owl, he unfortunately didn't make it. The ladies at the Wildlife center told us that the problem with wildlife injuries is that the animal doesn't usually display any indications its hurt or sick until its too late.


No comments:

Post a Comment