Friday 13 January 2012

Ive been trying-off and on-for quite a few years now to get some good pictures of the moon. Every time I got a new lens, inevitably I would have to point it skyward and see how it measured up. Overall, the results have been less than stellar, but a few night ago I gave the new 600mm a go and the result is seen here.
Much like the 85mm f/1.2, the learning curve on the 600 has been quite steep. In daylight, you have to work pretty hard to mess up a shot - the 11 pounds of stabilized glass is an absolute joy to shoot, providing you can hold it up. Put it on a tripod, though, and it's a different beast. I quickly realized the wisdom of buying a stout Wimberley gimbal head, but wish I had opted to bring the bigger of the 2 tripods to put it on. Also, while some of my other IS lenses seem to behave quite well on a tripod, the 600 really generates a lot of it's own movement looking for movement that isn't there! That's what the off switch is for, I guess.

So, for now, here is the moon. I am hoping to get down to the W.A.C. Bennett dam next week for another shot at their incredible eagle population. Hopefully they will be in a good mood this time, and a little more photogenic.

No comments:

Post a Comment