Saturday 4 May 2013

So, apparently I haven't posted in quite some time! It took a while to come down from the high that was the Masters, and then it got into winter work, holidays, more work and before you know it, its May and you've not done anything on your blog since, well, the Masters.( Sometimes, you just don't have anything to say, let alone write about, and I think I just ran out of words about Horses)
Speaking of horses, or at least horsepower in general, I think its only fair to warn you that this year, I plan to stray from horse shows somewhat, and explore a few different sports with my camera.
Primarily, I've gotten involved the the Central Alberta Raceways, and will be covering all of their events this year (hopefully, with the help of a few-or a lot of my photographer friends like Carmen Williams and Darwin Mulligan who are seasoned veterans at this sort of shooting!!)
Armed with a new ambition to shoot, some new gear and some absolutely fantastic weather, we spent the day down at the Rimbey racetrack, ushering in the 2013 race season with the spring Mud Bogs.
Now, being patch trash such as I am, I typically make it a habit of staying as far away from mud as I can(just because my truck is lifted with 37"tires does not mean I go around testing its ability to crawl out of a swamp...) but I must admit I was intrigued by the sounds and sights of warm-up around the facility.
I won't go into great detail-lets just say it was a great afternoon for weather, performance and friendship. i'll provide a few pictures here as an example of what we captured today. looking forward to tomorrow when the real racing starts!



This was one of the last shots of the day, and once the qualifying was done, there was a little fun time for everyone. With the way the light was, and the dust, we were actually getting nicer shots of the drivers returning for another run!!


I will never be this happy about being covered in mud.....


 Man, some of these quads can really move!


 We were afraid this guy was out for the duration after he blew something up on his first run, but he was back by round 2, and boy, could he move!!!


"I was this close...!!!"


Never saw a Razer have to get pulled out...


 My mentor Darwin was trying to teach (re-teach??) the art of panning with a slow shutter to create the illusion of speed.


 I had this exact truck growing up... it was somewhat less cool back then.




So, the final run tomorrow, and as long as the weather holds, we plan on catching some even better shots. My Oldest is coming to join me(which means I'll lose my 5D mmiii, sigh...) but she'll be catching some video with it as well, so I guess some good will come. Maybe I can coerce her into editing my video footage from the few helicopter flights I did today....

No comments:

Post a Comment