Sunday 22 April 2012

So, there's this newfie.... OK, its a cheesy way to start a blog. However, there really was a newfie. My friend Dwayne took me out for a birthday dinner, and on the way home we spent a few hours chasing the Aurora. It wasn't too much of a stretch-Dwayne is a shooter, too and he needed little persuasion.
So, has anyone else spent much time trying to capture this incredible sight? We get it a lot up here in the north country. I guess it must be the same kind of feeling that storm chasers get, but I can't get enough of these amazing lights.
I made a series of shots back in the fall of last year, with a drilling rig and the aurora behind it. It was a huge hit, especially for the guys on who's rig the picture was taken. The drilling contractor even bought the rights to a few of the shots so they could put it on their website.
Just to be clear, the pictures are a long exposure, and you won't see anything similar unless you are able to get miles away from any light noise and can set up for a motion-free, 30 sec exposure. I typically shoot at around 30 seconds with a moderate aperture of f/8.0 or so.If you have a decent camera, you can get your ISO up to that 800+ mark and still get useable shots. Well, useable to me, anyway. You may disagree...

For my friend Audry, who is just starting to chase the light...you go, girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment